First, happiness it is a physiological phenomenon. What that means is happiness should not be seen as related to money, external goods and objects, cars homes etc. Rather, climate, sunlight, exposure to the sun, I wonder if a lot of these people who experience seasonal affected this disorder is just this bad Modern day phenomenon in which everyone is just stuck indoors, or at home all day.
The problem with working from home
Observing some of my apartment mates, and other people I witness working from home, or just the modern day office worker, the big problem in issue here is that when you work from home, people become strange.
For example, I know one of my apartment maids, spending too much time at home he becomes strangely weird, suspicious, almost like the typical scared person who lives in the suburbs.
Also, just peering into the apartments of others, they spent too much time sedentary, too much time sitting on the couch, on the laptop, long back on the couch on their phone, watching baseball and hockey and football, essentially, watching other people be active.
My intervention and idea is very simple: perhaps everyone should just have an iPhone Pro, an iPad Pro, with some sort of 5G connection, preferably Verizon, and everyone should just work off the grid. This means people could just work in the great outdoors, at the local nature center or park, And also I think people should have the courage to do boring zoom calls while going on a hike.
I was at the Baldwin Hills overlook hike path on the top, and actually saw a girl walking her dog and practicing her lines for some sort of actress script. Very good idea.
Essentially seasonal effectiveness disorder is a phenomenon in which one is lacking contact with the direct sun and UV rays. The strange bias in two days world is that somehow, we are all afraid of the sun, afraid of getting sunburnt, skin cancer, all these harmful UV rays etc. But I think these concerns are over warranted; certainly you spend 12 hours in the direct sun, in subsea in Africa, totally naked, that is probably not a good idea. The visual I get is the emperor in the Apple TV series foundation, in which he does his funny pilgrimage, ￼￼￼￼in the desert planet, and his body totally becomes all red and toasted.
My practical thoughts; maybe it is better to live a shorter life, get skin cancer or whatever, and be happy during that duration, rather than living a long and miserable life. ￼￼
Natural vs not natural?
I am still a little bit suspicious of sunblock and sunscreen. Maybe it is good when you spent all day at the beach, but for typical every day activities, maybe not a good idea. I wonder if the downside of sunblock and sunscreen is that it actually positively prevent your body from absorbing positive UV radiation from the sun.
I suppose if one is really really concerned you could just buy one of those funny hiking hats from REI, put on a facemask and totally cover up your whole body.
Another bias between men and women; traditionally in a lot of cultures in the world, especially Asia and Korea, whiteness is perceived as superior. Why? It was a status thing; the poor peasants had to work in the fields, while the royalty were able to stay indoors out of the sun.
In fact, many cultures around the world see the same; in India and south Asia, the elite area Indians on top, more light skinned, and seen as more more good. The darker, untouchables… were seen as bad, evil, base.￼￼￼
If you read the book of man who, the way that he talks about the untouchable; pretty bad. The idea is that ￼ they are only permitted to bathe in unclean waters, they could only eat with their left hand, and they are only given rotten food, onions to eat. In ancient Hindu text, and the cast system in India; they are very mercurial about it, no hard feelings.
Aryans are on top, untouchables on bottom.
Back to the sun
Being here in LA, I find that the happiest people are the “beach buns “. What is a beach bomb? Somebody who lives in Malibu, and just spend all day surfing at the beach. Even about a week or two ago, we saw a bunch of students, Undergraduates girls and guys, all at the beach, having a great and jolly time, and all eventually stripping down to their swimwear and running into the water together. It was actually a very beautiful sight. ￼
LA people can be happier
One thing I love about LA is for the most part, the sun is up all year round. I suppose the upside of LA versus Arizona and Nevada is that while LA has a lot of sun, it never gets too hot. Apparently in Arizona and Nevada during the summer months, it is literally untenable to be out in the sun. Therefore you become the more people, staying indoors with air-conditioning.
Why were the ancient Greeks so productive and happy?
I think the ancient Greeks were so productive and happy because their climate was perfect. With a mild Mediterranean weather, it never gets too hot nor too cold. Apparently in the mountainside it could get pretty cold, but never like Minnesota.
If you think about it, all of the barbarian races from the past, the goths, visigoths etc — there are barbarism comes from the fact that they had to deal with such cruel weather. Also think about the Germans, the dramatic tribe; if you have ever spent a winter in Berlin, you will know how miserable it is. That is why the rent is so cheap.
How to live happy in LA
I think Peter Thiel moved down to LA, and actually one of my great gratitude and life was moving to LA, getting into UCLA as an undergraduate. Why?
First, students are just way happier. I still remember when I was maybe a freshman or a sophomore, walking around and down Bruun walk, in the middle of December, and you see all these girls and booty shorts and tank tops and spaghetti strap tank tops.
As a guy, this is great! And also, typically when the sun is out, people are happy and in a good mood.
Why are college students so happy?
My theory on why college students are so happy is that for the most part, most undergraduates don’t own cars, and their lifestyle is 100% pedestrian. Being in university is like a pseudo Utopia; you meet new friends, you hang out, you feel unhurried and unrushed, and you are also not yet corrupted by the external world, no concerns about making money and paying rent, etc.
Therefore first, I believe the secret then is to spend maximal amount of time walking. I think the real hack to living a happy life in LA is simple; spend minimum amount of time ever, being inside a car. In fact, the ultimate privilege living in LA is a 100% pedestrian lifestyle, in the direct sun. It don’t matter if you drive the rules, Bentley, Lamborghini or Ferrari; as long as you are stuck in traffic, sedentary, and not on your two legs walking, you are underprivileged.
The new elites?
My new modern day flex is that I have a full body tan, when I takeoff my shirt, my body is chiseled, beautiful, it looks like I got a spray tan.
One of the big problems even in the entertainment industry is that even if you are Kim Kardashian, the big issue is that because you are indoors all day, doing screenings and filming and stuff, you don’t actually have a chance to get a real tan. Therefore they put on a spray tan, to look more beautiful?
Having tanned skin is more beautiful ￼￼￼￼
￼I do not believe that beauty is subjective. I believe that there are degrees.
￼ For example, if you have somebody with pale and paste the skin, and spends 99% of their time indoors in the cave, the reason why it is not beautiful is that it is a sign and the signal that they are sick and unwell. For example, Consider the modern day office slave, stuck in doors all day, with that ugly ass fluorescent lighting. That is positively bad for your physiology health and mental being.
Mental health is physical health ￼￼
In a healthy body lies a healthy mind.
What these uncritical people don’t realize is how the root and origin of all “mental health“ problems derives from the physical. ￼
For example, certainly if you are addicted to meth, heroin, cocaine, weed and alcohol, to Netflix and Reddit, sleep maybe one to two hours a night, and are popping pills all day… Certainly your mental health will be poor. Why? Because your physical health is poor.
However, let us say that you sleep 8 to 12 hours a night, spend your whole day outdoors in the direct sun, hiking, lifting weights topless, smiling and chatting with people etc.… Certainly there might be some sort of opportunities for sadness in your life, let us say that your mom passes or something, but for the most part you should be pretty OK. ￼
Therefore, I really think that 90% mental health issues could be alleviated simply from physical training. Focusing on our physicality.
Some extreme measures include just flying to Vietnam, spend some time in Hanoi and Saigon, or even a new favorite place of mine, Phnomh penh Cambodia. ￼￼
Why do I love Cambodia so much, especially phnomnh penh?
First, I think that Buddhist countries are just way happier. Same thing goes with Thailand and Bangkok.
One of the big issues in Vietnam is that it is becoming too much like a mini America; too much focused on being productive work making a bunch of money buying the Rolls-Royce whatever. Even seeing some of my Vietnamese friends, they look like they are all grounded out. whereas in Cambodia, people take their time, or happy, and it seems that they just enjoy life better. To me the only people who seem a little bit miserable are ￼ maybe the foreigners who live there; and please, do not go to siem reap. I hate that place. Too many degenerate ex patriots who live there.
Money for the sake of what?
Currently one of my greatest joys in the world is being very very very happy to pay rent to live in an extremely desirable neighborhood, in which I could literally just walk around everywhere all day. The reason why this brings me so much joy is that for me, happiness is just walking and being out in the sun and in the direct elements. The funny thing is I never really thought of myself as a nature person, even though I did Boy Scouts, became a Boy Scout eagle gut etc.… But as time has progressed, I enjoy more and more the privilege of just being outside and outdoors.
A pro tip: if you’re currently living somewhere very cold, I recommend getting some military grade clothing. Tennier industries — for example the famous military digital camo cold weather parka that I’ve been wearing in my videos the last six years is a legitimate cold weather camouflage jacket that I got from my brother-in-law Khan, when he served in Afghanistan. The reason I love the code so much is that it is literally built to withstand anything. The long length makes it ideal for all weather, I never get hot in it, nor do I get cold in it. Therefore the great upside is that I could just spend maximum time outdoors in the direct sun.
Honestly I think the world just needs more joy and happiness. There’s too much doom and gloom in the world. Perhaps, my new focus ￼￼￼￼￼should be simple — be the first truly happy philosopher, ￼the jolly gay monster philosopher, and share this happiness and joyful thoughts with others?
Sun meditation, sun therapy
One of the great things I like about being outside outdoors and in the sun is that it is free! It doesn’t cost you anything.
People have this nonsensical notion of just trying to spend 15 minutes a day outside in the drug sun. I would say better yet think about eight hours.
Even my mailman friend Jimmy, he spends all the time outdoors delivering the mail, he is one of the most joyful and happy people that I know.
But, I wonder if more people would be happy to do these “blue-collar“ jobs, like being the mailman, firefighters, police, military etc.
I don’t know any happy tech workers?
When I think about it, I don’t think I know any happy type workers. None of my friends who work at Facebook, Google or Amazon. Even Apple.
Happiness begets happiness. My simple thought and suggestion is maybe try to spend more time focused on just becoming happier, and sharing your happiness with others!
- If you have the option of watching TV, a movie, a series or whatever… Better to just hit the gym or work out at home instead or outdoors. Or better yet, if you want to watch a movie or media, downloaded off-line to your iPhone or iPad, And watch it immigrant outdoors while you’re taking a hike!
- Do all of your zoom calls outdoors and or hiking.
- In the evening, when you come home, at five or 6 PM, just turn off your phone, on iPhone that is up down power button hold. ￼Then switch your phone 100% off. ￼
- Sleep is the number one most critical thing to happiness. I don’t think it matters who you are, alcohol and marijuana is bad for your sleep. Same thing goes with caffeine coffee and also caffeinated tea. Typically I think when people have troubles sleeping, it is because they did not engage in enough physical activity during the day. I say that you should work out or exercise at least once a day, maybe even twice a day… And also if the weather is becoming very cold, just sign up for a local hot yoga studio, and do hot yoga at least once a day. I find this to be very beneficial.
- Smile and wave at people: just say hi, or just wave your hand. It doesn’t cost you anything!
- If you have the option, don’t drive. I think 90% of the misery of living in Los Angeles is because people are stuck in traffic all day.
- Vibram 5 finger shoes — EL-X model. Better connection with the ground will increase your joy!
VIBE WITH EK
ERIC KIM WORKSHOP EXPERIENCES >
The funny thing is that when it comes to consumerism, products and things, I think actually it is true that spending some money on certain things can make you happier. For example, purchasing your own weightlifting and exercise equipment to just work out at home, preferably outdoors is good.
HOW TO BECOME HAPPIER
Simple — mostly via negativa:
- Quit reddit– I actually wonder if reddit is worse for you than porn. Funny thought — don’t quit porn, quit reddit instead.
- Quit alcohol and weed: just drink black coffee — EK 100% fine robusta. Also another pro tip — don’t drink arabica, just drink 100% robusta. Why? Less sugar content and sugar molecules and sweetness flavors — robusta also has more caffeine!
- For coffee — only drink it first thing in the morning — a lot; allow yourself unlimited coffee first thing waking up in the morning. But for the rest of the day… strict abstinence.
- Don’t go to the club, the mall, the strip club whatever. Just go on a (free) hike and start your own home gym instead! Titan fitness independent squat rack— I love it. Also rogue fitness 400 pound sandbag. Texas power squat bar.
- Visit the local museum — LACMA, THE GETTY, GETTY VILLA IN MALBU ETC. The Getty in LA is free!
- Read the classics — Plutarch, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Diogenes, Epictetus, Heraclitus, the philosophers who came before Socrates.
Happy exercises and activities
- Buy vibram 5 finger shoes, just black. I like the EL-X model. Just make this your everyday shoe. Wear it to the gym, to work, grocery store, go hiking whatever. Theory — there is more intelligence in your (bare) feet than your hands?
- Intermittent fasting: no breakfast no lunch, only one insanely massive dinner a night. I prefer 100% carnivore diet — aim for 5 pounds of beef/lamb a night. Costco Kirkland boneless lamb leg roast only $5.50 USD a pound, the new Costco wagyu American ground beef also very good– only $5USD a pound.
- Get a Costco membership: buy all your meat, clothes there.
- Stop using Google (free service)– also stop using Gmail. Register your own email (like email@example.com) and no more Gmail. Use the Apple Mail client on your phone or laptop. Better yet,,, uninstall email from your phone. Remember once upon a time it was seen as insanely strange to have work email on your personal private phone?
- Get paid premium ChatGPT — only $20 a month– I get at least $10,000 USD a month of metaphorical value from it every month!
- Stop buying USD DOLLARS, buy Bitcoin instead. Coinbase.com is easy or the Cash app– owned by Square and Jack Dorsey. Block.xyz as parent company.
- For clothes buy lululemon we made too much clothes — maximum quality, minimal price. Men’s shorts. Also this new ten thousand brand seems cool. Surplus sale.
- Quit going to the gym, go on hikes or just workout at home instead.
- Watch the movie FIGHT CLUB— Tyler Durden — “I don’t have a car!”
- When in doubt, delay. Obvious decisions are obvious and should habe ZERO ounces of hesitation! For example with life, lifestyle things, finding a place to live and home — or investing speculations etc — you should have .00000 hesitations before doing something.
- Quit social media, medium, reddit whatever — publish all your comments, reviews etc to your own personal blog!